Dear IFSTAL Community,
Happy summer everyone! As always, please have a look below for an important Portal announcement, updates, events, and opportunities.
As always, your EC’s, PI’s, and Rosina are always happy to talk and help in any way we can.
You must complete your online course by the 14th of August 2017 especially if you want to apply for your certificate for this year (further information on this below). After this date, the Portal will also be undergoing some changes with content being changed, and sections being moved.
· PhD Away Day. Blog by IFSTAL EC Annabel de Frece on the PhD Away Day which took place on 13 June 2017 at City University London
· Relationships in food systems: 2017 IFSTAL Summer School. Participant and City University student Gavin Wray provides his thoughts on the recent Summer School.
· 2017 Summer School – As it happened. Read the IFSTAL team’s daily reports from the recent Summer School.
Research / Careers / Internships – Click here for current opportunities
Don’t forget to include IFSTAL on your CV!
- Attention PhDs : WRAP is
looking to host some interns in 2018- Closing
date 10th August 2017
Research Councils UK is running a policy internship scheme allowing PhD students funded by the various RCUK research councils to get experience in a policy-relevant organisation.
The placements offered are in this document: http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/documents/skills/doc-6-rcuk-policy-internships-host-partner-info-final-pdf/ with WRAP being the final organisation on page 45.
- Eating Better Campaigns Officer post – Closing date 27 July
The Eating Better coalition – which champions sustainable food and eating – has been awarded a 3 year grant extension so is recruiting a new Campaigns Officer. Details here: http://www.eating-better.org/blog/149/We-are-recruiting.html
The closing date for applications is Thursday 27 July.
- Senior Lecturer in Sustainability, Centre for Alternative Technology
The Centre for Alternative Technology at Machynlleth, mid Wales, has pioneered low energy work and research for 40 years. It is developing a new MSc Food Sustainability & natural Resources, and is looking for another academic on board. The job description suggests a variety of skills, but food is one of them. https://content.cat.org.uk/index.php/vacancies
- Various postdoc opportunities working on the Livestock, Environment and People (LEAP) project on the future of animal-sourced foods, based at the University of Oxford (closing dates vary). http://www.futureoffood.ox.ac.uk/news/job-opportunities-future-meat-and-dairy
- POST DOCS at The Centre for Food Policy,
City, University of London
Full Time Post Doctoral Research Fellow- policy-focused research on (Sustainable and Healthy Food Systems in South Africa. Working with Professor Corinna Hawkes, in collaboration with partners at University College London, the Institute for Fiscal Studies and other collaborators. Details and application Here
Full Time Post Doctoral Research Fellow- Policy-oriented research projects related to child obesity. Working with Professor Corinna Hawkes, in collaboration with partners at University College London, the Institute for Fiscal Studies and other collaborators. This new position is to work within programme of policy-focused research, funded by the National Institute of Health Research (NIHR). Details and application Here
studentship in agriculture and climate change at the University of Reading and
Closing date: 14 August 2017. Any enquiries should be directed to Dr Jake Bishop email@example.com. For more information see www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/apd/apd_pgr_readroth.pdf
- PhD: THE NIGEL BAKER
PHD STUDENTSHIP: closes 31st October
ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF AGROECOLOGICAL PRACTICE - TRANSDISCIPLINARY APPROACHES IN CONTRASTING GEOGRAPHICAL CONTEXTS, Coventry University.
If you would like a certificate for your participation in IFSTAL, please see the information regarding the procedure here on the Portal.
· Tune in to the Urban Resilience Summit – for food system vulnerability analyses
Please do catch the last two days of the Urban Resilience Summit in New York (running from the 24th till the 27th of July) – The event on the 26th includes an exploration of food system vulnerability, and on the 27th, you can hear from Resilience Officers from 32 cities around the world about their newly released resilience strategies.
· Get into the Summer with a Festival
There are many Food Festivals in the UK this summer, why not satisfy your taste buds by a visit to one of them.
Brazilian Taste 2017: http://braziliantaste.org/#home
The Great British Food Festival 2017: https://greatbritishfoodfestival.com/
Great Dorset Chilli Festival : http://www.greatdorsetchillifestival.co.uk/
· 5th “Eating City Summer Campus” July 24th - August 1st, inviting 28 participants aged 22-32, working & studying around food sustainability: Chefs, Food Procurement Officers, Farmers & Fisherman and Foodies from EU Member States (Up to 20 participants) and U.S.A. (Up to 8 participants) to share this challenging adventure. Click here for more details
Calls for sessions/papers:
· Journal of Urbanism has a special issue call: ‘Food and Urbanism’. The aim is to explore and extend our knowledge and understanding of the ways that food and urbanism interconnect in diverse urbanism contexts worldwide. More information here, Deadline 1st September.
· Oxford Real Farming Conference 2018. The 2018 Oxford Real Farming Conference will be held in the Oxford Town Hall on 4th & 5th January. As always, this unique gathering of the UK's sustainable and organic food and farming movements will offer a practical mix of on-farm advice, showcasing new techniques for best practice in agroecological farming, as well as broader discussions on what needs to change to create real change in the food system. For more details see the call for session ideas.
Connect with us:
Don’t forget you can now also join the IFSTAL network on:
(Edited by Kelly Reed - original submission Wednesday, 26 July 2017, 12:19 PM)